UFC Long Island featured one of the most stacked cards from top to bottom that wasn’t a pay-per-view event that fight fans have seen in a while. An early afternoon Fight Night, ranked fighters were present throughout, including a number of title challengers.
Despite a disappointing early stoppage to the main event between Brian Ortega and Yair Rodriguez due to an injury to the former in the first round, seven other finishes made up for it, and the UFC returned the favor with an increase in the number of Performance of the Night bonuses that they awarded. See who took home a little extra when the UFC Long Island payouts and bonuses were announced.
Performance of the Night – Bill Algeo, Dustin Jacoby, Li Jingliang, Amanda Lemos, Ricky Simon, Punahele Soriano
With the exception of the main event, all of the early stoppages from Saturday in New York were awarded bonuses. Six fighters took home a Performance of the Night bonus for $50,000 each – four from the preliminaries and two from the main card. Dustin Jacoby forced the first early finish when he knocked out Da-Un Jung in the middle of the first round. That started a streak of four fights in a row that didn’t see the third round, including Ricky Simon securing the first submission of the night with an arm-triangle choke to defeat Jack Shore in Round 2.
It didn’t take long for the main card to pick up where the prelims left off with the early finishes, with each of the final four fights of the night ending in or before the second round. Shortly after Li Jingliang TKO’d Muslim Salikhov in their welterweight bout, Amanda Lemos submitted Michelle Waterson with a guillotine choke as she begins her climb back up the women’s strawweight division ladder.
Fight of the Night – Matt Schnell vs Su Mudaerji
Everyone loves a comeback, and on Saturday afternoon, Matt Schnell put on one of the best rallies of the year. Su Mudaerji was close to finishing the man who was right ahead of him in the flyweight standings, having Schnell staggered in the second round of their blow-for-blow contest. Just when it looked like Schnell was about to topple, however, he locked up a tiring Mudaerji with a triangle choke. Losing the fight like that surely stings for Mudaerji, but he and Schnell each collected a $50,000 bonus for delivering the Fight of the Night.
Main Card and Preliminaries Payouts*
Fighter payouts aren’t generally common knowledge, as is standard practice in the UFC. What we do know, however, is how much each athlete on the roster has the potential earnings from the promotion’s relationship with Venum. The Venum sponsorships payout on an increasing sliding scale, rewarding fighters for the more Octagon appearances that they make.
Featuring a number of fighters that are in the realm of title contention, UFC Long Island had a wealth of experienced fighters. As such, the Venum sponsorship payouts were largely in the mid-tier realm, primarily paying out around $6,000 per athlete. Emily Ducote was the only fighter at the event making their debut, earning the least from Venum at just $4,000. On the other end of the scale, Jingliang earned a payout for $16,000, a solid addition to the $50,000 Fight of the Night bonus that he collected as well.
Venum Sponsorship Payouts (based on number of fights in the UFC)
- $4,000 (1-3 fights): Emily Ducote (debut)
- $4,500 (4-5 fights): Dwight Grant (5), Dustin Stoltzfus (4), Bill Algeo (5), Herbert Burns (4), Jack Shore (4), Sumudaerji (5), Punahele Soriano (5)
- $6,000 (6-10 fights): Jessica Penne (7), Dustin Jacoby (9), Da-Un Jung (6), Dalcha Lungiambula (6), Shane Burgos (10), Charles Jourdain (9), Matt Schnell (10), Muslim Salikhov (7), Amanda Lemos (8)
- $11,000 (11-15 fights): Ricky Simon (11), Miesha Tate (12), Lauren Murphy (11), Michelle Waterson-Gomez (12), Brian Ortega (11), Yair Rodriguez (12)
- $16,000 (16-20 fights): Li Jingliang (16)
UFC Long Island Results
UFC Long Island Results
- Yair Rodriguez TKO’d Brian Ortega – Round 1
- Amanda Lemos submitted Michelle Waterson by guillotine choke – Round 2
- Li Jingliang TKO’d Muslim Salikhov – Round 2
- Matt Schnell submitted Su Mudaerji by triangle choke – Round 2
- Shane Burgos defeats Charles Jourdain – Majority Decision
- Lauren Murphy defeats Miesha Tate – Unanimous Decision
- Punahele Soriano KO’d Dalcha Lungiambula – Round 2
- Ricky Simon submitted Jack Shore by arm-triangle choke – Round 2
- Bill Algeo TKO’d Herbert Burns – Round 2
- Dustin Jacoby KO’d Da-Un Jung – Round 1
- Dustin Stoltzfus defeats Dwight Grant – Unanimous Decision
- Emily Ducote defeats Jessica Penne – Unanimous Decision