After more than a month, and for the first time in 2023, the UFC has a light heavyweight champion. Jamahal Hill took home more than just the belt, however, picking up a performance bonus check with his UFC 283 payouts, as did three other athletes. With two title fights on the card as well, the Venum sponsorship promotional bonus paid out a handsome sum as well. In total, nearly $600,000 in bonus money was paid out.
UFC 283 Payout Bonuses
Performance of the Night – Jailton Almeida and Ismael Bonfim
Saturday’s card was fantastic, with 10 finishes (seven KOs and three submissions), including a knockout in the first fight of the night. When Ismael Bonfim took to the octagon in his UFC debut near the top of the early preliminary card, however, the tone for UFC 283 was set. In the middle of the second round, Bonfim delivered the highlight of the evening – a flying knee KO of Terrance McKinney.
These Brazilians got the job done at home 🇧🇷
Ismael Bonfim & Jailton Almeida earn the #UFC283 POTN bonuses! pic.twitter.com/z5DvCs5Oob
— UFC (@ufc) January 22, 2023
From a display of athleticism to one of absolute power, Jalton Almedia caught the attention of the promotion in the preliminary card-opener as he made a statement in the heavyweight division. Facing No. 15 Shamil Abdurakhimov, Almeida was dominant throughout the first round and carried that into the second. Securing a top position on Abdurakhimov, Almeida rained down heavy blows that forced the referee to step in and stop the fight.
For their highlight finishes, Almeida and Bonfim were each rewarded with a $50,000 Performance of the Night bonus in addition to their UFC 283 payouts. With only five combined fights between them in the UFC, the future is bright.
Fight of the Night – Glover Teixeira vs Jamahal Hill
There were a number of great fights on Saturday night in Brazil and even a few historic ones. For example, one needs to look no further than the headline contest between Glover Teixeira and Jamahal Hill. Teixeira, the oldest fighter to ever win their first title at 43 years old, took on Hill, an athlete with just seven UFC contests under his belt, posting a 6-1 record. The former showed why he was still one of the best in the promotion, weathering the storm brought on by Hill, taking him five rounds. There were even moments when it looked like Teixeira might steal the fight.
Alas, Hill was victorious, earning his first UFC title and becoming the first Dana White’s Contender Series alumn to become a champion. The history of the night continued after the bout as Teixeira announced his retirement as a fighter. He picked up an extra parting gift on his way out as both he and Hill each received a $50,000 bonus with their UFC 283 payouts for delivering the Fight of the Night.
UFC 283 Payouts – Venum Sponsorship Bonuses (based on number of fights in the UFC)
*Per the UFC Promotional Guidelines
- $4,000 (1-3 fights): Saimon Oliveira (2), Daniel Marcos (debut), Josiane Nunes (3), Zarah Fairn (3), Ismael Bonfim (debut), Luan Lacerda (debut), Gabriel Bonfim (debut), Melquizael Costa (debut), Brunno Ferreira (debut), Ihor Potieria (2)
- $4,500 (4-5 fights): Terrance McKinney (5), Jailton Almedia (4), Mounir Lazzez (4)
- $6,000 (6-10 fights): Nicolas Dalby (10), Thiago Moises (10), Gregory Rodrigues (6), Johnny Walker (10)
- $11,000 (11-15 fights): Warlley Alves (14), Cody Stamann (12), Shamil Abdurakhimov (11), Paul Craig (15), Lauren Murphy (14)
- $16,000 (16-20 fights): Gilbert Burns (19)
- $21,000 (21+ fights): Mauricio Rua (24), Jessica Andrade (22), Neil Magny (29)
- $32,000 (Title Challenger): Glover Teixeira, Jamahal Hill
- $42,000 (Champion): Deiveson Figueiredo, Brandon Moreno
UFC 283 Results
- Jamahal Hill defeated Glover Teixeira by unanimous decision
- Brandon Moreno TKO’d Deiveson Figueiredo at 5:00 in Round 3
- Gilbert Burns submitted Neil Magny by arm-triangle choke at 4:15 in Round 1
- Jessica Andrade defeated Lauren Murphy by unanimous decision
- Johnny Walker TKO’d Paul Craig at 2:16 in Round 1
- Ihor Potieria TKO’d Mauricio Rua at 4:05 in Round 1
- Brunno Ferreira KO’d Gregory Rodrigues at 4:13 in Round 1
- Thiago Moises submitted Melquizael Costa by rear-naked choke at 4:05 in Round 2
- Gabriel Bonfim submitted Mounir Lazzez by guillotine choke at 0:49 in Round 1
- Jailton Almeida TKO’d Shamil Abdurakhimov at 2:56 in Round 2
Early Preliminary Card
- Cody Stamann defeated Luan Lacerda by unanimous decision
- Ismael Bonfim KO’d Terrance McKinney at 2:17 in Round 2
- Nicolas Dalby defeated Warlley Alves by split decision
- Josiane Nunes defeated Zarah Fairn by unanimous decision
- Daniel Marcos KO’d Saimon Oliveira at 2:18 in Round 2