The UFC is working on a thrilling featherweight matchup between former champion Max Holloway taking on Yair Rodriguez.
In particular, the news was first made official by ESPN reporter Brett Okamoto. According to UFC president Dana White, the bout is set for the main event on July 17.
The contracts for the fight have not been signed but sources close to ESPN said the card is expected to headline a fight night event. While a location has yet to be determined, in a previous interview the UFC boss indicated that most fight night events would take place in the UFC Apex in Las Vegas.
Oh boy. Here we go. Five round main event, July 17. Max Holloway (@BlessedMMA vs. Yair Rodriguez (@panteraufc), per Dana White. The self proclaimed best boxer in MMA returns. pic.twitter.com/qCKbC3YmM4
— Brett Okamoto (@bokamotoESPN) May 27, 2021
“Oh boy. Here we go. Five-round main event, July 17. Max Holloway (@BlessedMMAvs. Yair Rodriguez (@panteraufc), per Dana White. The self-proclaimed best boxer in MMA returns.” Brett Okamoto posted.
Max Holloway Looking To Knock Off Another Contender
This will be the former featherweight champion Max Holloway’s first fight since his battle with Calvin Kattar on UFC On ABC 1. The former champ’s performance against Kattar was legendary, and the Hawaiian proved what a rare talent he is. Specifically, Holloway set a record when he recorded 445 significant strikes against “The Boston Finisher”.
Despite the hiatus of Rodriguez, his striking selection always makes for an entertaining fight. While Rodriguez has not competed since 2019, his last two wins came against a top-ranked competition. For example, “El Pantera” took out Korean Zombie with a spinning elbow in the final second of the fifth round. Additionally, Rodriguez’s most recent win came against the seasoned veteran Jeremy Stephens.
In the end, most fans expect this fight to remain standing given the style of both fighters, and on July 17, a featherweight contender with an air of undeniability will emerge.
With the announcement of Max Holloway Vs. Yair Rodriguez, here is an up-to-date lineup for the UFC event on July 17:
- Max Holloway vs. Yair Rodriguez
- Marion Reneau vs. Miesha Tate
- Rodolfo Vieira vs. Dustin Stoltzfus
- Islam Makhachev vs. Thiago Moisés
- Mateusz Gamrot vs. Jeremy Stephens
- Ode Osbourne vs. Amir Albazi
- Khalid Taha vs. Sergey Morozov
- Guram Kutateladze vs. Don Madge
- Cameron Else vs. Aaron Phillips
- Billy Quarantillo vs. Herbert Burns
- Francisco Figueiredo vs. Malcolm Gordon
- Anderson dos Santos vs. Miles Johns
- Amanda Lemos vs. Montserrat Ruiz
- Phil Hawes vs. Deron Winn
- Rodrigo Nascimento vs. Alan Baudot
- Daniel Rodriguez vs. Abubakar Nurmagomedov
Who is your pick between former champ, Max Holloway Vs. Yair Rodriguez?