Jairzinho Rozenstruik doesn’t agree with the stoppage in his first-round TKO loss to Alexander Volkov in the main event of UFC Vegas 56.
Rozenstruik and Volkov began exchanging strikes early and both men landed some good shots. Yet, the Russian landed a big shot that appeared to wobble Rozenstruik. Once he began to fall upon shots, Herb Dean stopped the fight although Rozenstruik appeared to be fine. He took to social media to release a statement and criticize the stoppage.
“Hi everyone. I’m kinda confused on how the fight went and I’m disappointed that it was stopped. It definitely was a troubling situation, but I was far from giving up the fight. Did someone lay flat on the ground with his eyes shut? That’s what we call a knockout. Alexander and I basically just started exchanging some heavy strikes. The stuff you all wanted to see! Big up to @AlexDragoVolkov for taking the fight. I’ve no notable damage and I like to fight soon.” Rozenstruik wrote on Twitter.
A Tough Loss for Jairzinho Rozenstruik
With the loss, Jairzinho Rozenstruik dropped to 12-4 and is now on a two-fight losing streak. Prior to the TKO loss to Volkov, Rozenstruik had dropped a decision to Curtis Blaydes. After starting out his MMA career at 6-0, he signed with the UFC. He then started out on a four-fight win streak with KO wins over Junior Albini, Allen Crowder, Andrei Arlovski, and Alistair Overeem. Since then, however, he has struggled. Rozenstruik has gone 2-4 with wins over Junior dos Santos and Augusto Sakai while he lost to Francis Ngannou (KO), Ciryl Gane (decision), and then the Blaydes and Volkov losses.
As for Alexander Volkov, he improved to 35-10 and is now 5-4 in his last nine. He rebounds with the victory after losing to Tom Aspinall by submission last time out. The former Bellator heavyweight champion holds notable wins over Fabricio Werdum, Roy Nelson, Blagoy Ivanov, and Marcin Tybura among others.
UFC Vegas 56 Fight Card Results
- #7 Alexander Volkov TKO’d #8 Jairzinho Rozenstruik – Round 1
- #13 Movsar Evloev defeated #10 Dan Ige – Unanimous Decision
- Lucas Almeida TKO’d Michael Trizano – Round 3
- Karine Silva submitted Poliana Botelho by D’Arce Choke – Round 1
- Ode’ Osbourne KO’d Zarrukh Adashev – Round 1
- Alonzo Menifield TKO’d Askar Mozharov – Round 1
- Karolina Kowalkiewicz submitted Felice Herrig by Rear Naked Choke – Round 2
- Joe Solecki defeated Alex da Silva – Majority Decision
- Damon Jackson defeated Daniel Argueta – Unanimous Decision
- Benoit Saint Denis submitted Niklas Stolze by Rear Naked Choke – Round 2
- Tony Gravely TKO’d Johnny Munoz – Round 1
- Jeffrey Molina defeated Zhalgas Zhumagulov – Split Decision
- Rinat Fakhretdinov defeated Andreas Michailidis – Unanimous Decision
- Erin Blanchfield submitted JJ Aldrich by Guillotine Choke – Round 2