Chris Weidman was supposed to rematch Uriah Hall next Saturday at UFC 258 but that is no longer the case.
Earlier this week, it was revealed Weidman tested positive for COVID-19 and the fight was postponed. Although the former champ wanted to fight, he said it was a difficult few days as he dropped 12 pounds from the virus.
“First couple of days definitely sucked pretty bad,” Weidman told Submission Radio (via MMAFighting). “For about three days I had a fever, body aches, bad headache, and it just kind of sucked. And then after that, I just kind of felt tired. I would get these headaches randomly. Yeah, so I had to take about two weeks off training, and now I feel good and getting back in shape. But I guess taking two weeks off my proper training, even if I came back with no lingering effects, it’s just not the best timing for the fight. So, I didn’t expect to get my fight pushed back until April, I expected maybe a couple of weeks. But hopefully, it’s a huge pay-per-view and a big opportunity, a big platform to be able to showcase my skills and make a big statement.”
“I also lost 12 pounds. I was eating soups and stuff. My appetite wasn’t that great and I ended up losing 12 pounds throughout the process. Which, I was like, wow, my weight cut is not gonna be as bad, I really got my weight low.”
Chris Weidman says he is now doing better and is happy Hall and the UFC agreed to postpone it. It’s a very intriguing matchup and a rematch many fans want to see. For now, Weidman is just recovering from the virus and will need a training camp. The fight is now targeted to take place on April 24 at UFC 261.